Every industry has its challenges. In the early education (“EE”) industry, the challenge is to find and keep good teachers and directors. However, there are many EE companies that get and keep great teachers and directors for many years. These schools have very little staff turnover, and they are profitable. The primary key is to avoid looking for teachers and directors. Look for the teacher or the director. Then, repeat the process for every teacher thereafter. Once you have used your system to find one really good teacher or director, repeating your process will become much easier. Here’s how it works.
- Write the most detailed description of the most perfect teacher or director you could ever hope to hire. Leave the description alone for at least 24 hours. Go back and make the description better. Repeat this process until you can’t possibly make the description any better.
- Write the plan for finding this teacher. Include the places you’ll search and the tools you’ll use. For example, I will use my resources to…
- Search elementary schools.
- Show her that your odds of making a difference improve when you teach children to learn earlier.
- Provide perks or benefits that she can’t get from her employer…like performance bonuses or curriculum autonomy.
While you always have to be in ratio, one really good employee is worth three average employees. Good ideas, program improvement, greater profits…needed vacations come from hiring exceptional people—not the average. We know in the real world, good people are hard to find…in any industry, but they are worth the effort if you want an exceptional company.
Again, we hope it helps.
Best to you….Brad Barnett, President BFS®
BFS® is the Largest Non-Governmental Provider of FREE Resources to the Early Education Industry. If you have questions on a topic, watch a quick video by going to our YouTube Channel or access information by clicking on the Instant Q & A tab at the top of this page.
Our new book How 1000s of Childcare Centers and Schools Are Making Millions is now available in hardback, Kindle, and Nook so you and your directors can reference the information whenever and wherever you need it. Click Here to order your copy today. *100% of Profits From Book Sales Go To Children's Charities.
(Legal Disclaimer: Always consult the proper professionals before taking action. By and before the use of the information provided herein, reader agrees that BFS® is not responsible for viewer’s actions related to said information.)